#14 Mainz (Home, 2007/2008)


Mainz 05, or just Mainz, are one of my favourite german teams. My brother specially likes them, but I also have a crush on the side. Reasons why everybody should like Mainz:

- Jürgen Klopp

This guys rocks
Listen, this lad is an absolute legend, and it's pretty much impossible not to like him. He's a great coach and he always looks like a great guy on the sideline, really passionate and a motivation-master. He spent most of his playing carreer with Mainz, and when he retired, he was immediatly appointed as the new coach. He led Mainz to their first Bundesliga appearance, and actually managed to qualify them to the UEFA Cup in 2005. He was so important for them that when he announced he'd leave the club, they threw a farewell party in the city center, in one of the most beautiful footballing moments I've seen in the last few years.


So, the guy left Mainz and moved to Borussia Dortmund, winning the title last season with a tighter budget than their rivals, and playing attacking and exciting football. I hope he does well everywhere, as he seems to be one of the most talented coaches in Germany, and also a great guy. Keep it up, Kloppo.

2. Mohamed Zidan

This guy rocks too.
He's a really talented forward. Zidan started his carrer in Denmark, and he was not only one of the most promising youngsters playing in the country, but also one of the most promising youngsters in older versions of Championship Manager. He then moved to Werder Bremen, where he failed to impress, and spent 3 seasons in Mainz, where he showed all his potential and became a fan favourite. Now he's with Klopp in Dortmund, and is also one of the key-players in the Egypt national team. People tend to know him mostly because of his original hair designs:

Yeah, that's Mainz badge.
I'd do that but my girlfriend would kill me. No mercy.
Something to make his opponents dizzy.
3. The club itself

No idea of what's going on there.
They always have low budgets, but usually they play some good football, and have some great results in the Bundesliga. Last season they finished 5th, without many big names on the books, so it was just perfect. The fans look awesome too, really loyal and passionate.

Now, enough with the club, and let's take a look at the shirt.


I bought it during a trip to Germany, in the same store where I found the India and Gladbach shirts. My brother was specially interested on this one, so it was good that we could find it. This Lotto design is already quite iconic, I think, and I think it looks ok. Not brilliant, but not a disaster. They used this template with many teams, just changing the colours and stuff. I own a QPR shirt with the exact same design, but with blue stripes (or whatever those are).



They recently changed suppliers from Lotto to Nike. Not that Lotto was doing bad, as they actually put some level of detail on this shirt.



This morning I lost a great deal: Bolivia shirt, my size, for just 21£. I won't be seeing one of those for such a low price too soon. Damn.

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

0 comentários: