#20 Club America (Away, 2010/2011)


When my dad told me he was going to Miami for a couple of days, to write some articles about portuguese companies that were establishing there, I obviously said it'd be awesome if he could get me a shirt from yet another american club. Once again, that was not an easy mission for him. He said he didn't see any MLS club shirt for sale, but he did find a Nike Store that had a couple of mexican club shirts (maybe because of the large hispanic community living in Miami), and he picked this Club America one. Nice choice indeed.


I'm not really into mexican football, and I must say I don't know much about the clubs. I know Club America is one of the most populars in Mexico, so that's probably why Nike was selling their shirt in the States. I actually own a Cruz Azul shirt (bought it in Spain), and I'll post that one later. Mexican club shirts are always at least a bit original: colourful, with plenty of sponsors and interesting designs. This one is no exception. I like the dark-blue/yellow combination, and the overall effort is quite nice. This shirt also rocks because it has "Corona" printed on the back.



Bread and Powerade. A friend of mine says that's the best breakfast after heavy drinking nights.
As a beer enthusiast, I obviously must say I tasted some amazing beers. Corona isn't brilliant, but I like to drink it in hot summer days with my mates. It just feels good. A Corona sponsorship in a shirt is a nice bonus indeed.

Now let's learn a bit about Club America.

Funny fact #1: Cameroon legend Omam-Biyik played there for 3 seasons, and was not less than a massive goal-machine, scoring 49 goals just from 75 matches. I mostly remember him because of his partner Roger Milla.

90's shirt. Classic.
Funny fact #2: a few weeks ago, they transfer-listed the whole squad. Yep, that's right, they want to get rid of every single player, after losing 9 of their last 17 matches. Maybe that's just a motivational move, but hey, sounds like a great idea.

And that's it. Hugo Sanchez played there but that's not very funny, it's just kind of interesting to know. Ivan Zamorano, legendary chilean striker, also spent some time with the Mexican giants.



Nike has been printing inspiring messages on the back of the club's badge, and no exception on the Club America shirt.

Front

Back. That means "Defend it with your life", something like that.
Quite inspiring, but I still think it's a bit pointless. It'd be better if it was written under the club badge or something. Anyway, good job, Nike!

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

1 comment:

  1. If you need for Youth Football Uniforms? We would like to suggest you to visit my site, We well offers for a larges varieties of Youth Football Uniforms and much affordable prices.

    Youth Football Uniforms

    ReplyDelete