#5 Boavista (Home, 2004/2005)


I support Boavista since I was a little kid. Back then I didn't understand the offside rule. I remember going to Bessa (our home) and spend most of the match playing on the old terraces with other kids. So Boavista is pretty much a part of my life.

I obviously own some Boavista shirts, and this one is actually one of my favourites. I bought it in funny circumstances: me and my school mates were planning a trip to Italy (Firenze, Venice and Rome), and we were trying to collect some money to make it more affordable to everyone.

So we prepared this kind of auction, with books, old school material (vintage stuff, I'd say), and some items offered by companies. We also contacted Boavista and Porto to get football shirts so we could get some money. Boavista donated this match-worn shirt (as a supporter I'd say it was worn in some friendly matches, because it didn't have the sponsor printed yet, and that was normal). Porto, obviously, gave absolutely nothing (I think).

.
The starting price was 15€, I bought it for like 20€. I had to make sure I'd get this one. It'd be an embaressment if the most popular - and probably one of the few - Boavista fan in the school didn't buy this one. There was this annoying guy that also shouted twice so I had to pay more money to get the shirt, but no problem in the end.


The shirt was worn by Zé Manel. Not a Boavista legend, but something like a fan favourite when he was playing for us. He spent a few seasons with Boavista, after impressing for Paços de Ferreira. In his first season in Bessa he scored like 10 goals or something, a big deal for a winger. Here's one of his goals:



And, more important, a goal against Porto a few seasons later. It's always great if you score against those guys:

Zé Manel scores against Porto

Lovely.

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. enquanto estiver anónimo vai ter sempre o mesmo destino...

      Delete
  2. Comentários anónimos nem por isso...

    ReplyDelete