#3 Austria Vienna (Home 2008)



When I decided to pick German classes in school, I never imagined it'd help me to buy an Austria Wien shirt, during my lovely vacations in Austria. But it did.

Wien. Lovely city. Quite expensive, though. Anyway, earlier that day, I found some Red Bull Salzburg shirts. Didn't like them so much. So, let's go downtown and try to find a sports shop with a wider range of merchandising. I eventually found an official Austria Wien club shop. As usual, it was closed. It was around 17h15, and it closed at 17h (I suppose). I didn't want to go there again. And I actually didn't have much time left in Wien, as I had train tickets to Prague for a few days later. That's when my german classes saved me.

There was someone inside. I supposed it was the boss or something. I decided to give my idea a try. I grabbed a pencil and a piece of paper, and I wrote in (probably ridiculous) german:

"HELLO. I'M FROM PORTUGAL. I'M LEAVING TOMORROW AND I'D LIKE TO BUY A SHIRT, PLEASE".

I hit the glass so he would notice me, then he approached and read my message. First he looked confused. Probably because he never read a sentence with so many grammar problems. Then he opened the door and said "no.". And that was it. How nice from him.

I replied. "Hey man, come on. I came all the way here, I thought it closed later". A lovely lie to persuade this apparently inflexible austrian guy. I insisted a few times, and finally he said "Ok, but cash only!". So, cash only, and I had the shirt on a bag.

Now that I think of it, this is not a great story at all. It's a bit boring, actually. It seemed a lot funnier back then.


The shirt is, at least, a bit original because of its colour. Austria plays in violet, a not-so-common sight in the beautiful game. Which makes some sense, because violet is a silly colour and usually looks awful. 

So, the guys are called Die Veillchen (The Violets), which is also not very original, but understandable. 

Roland Linz plays for them. A decent austrian striker, who left Wien a few seasons ago to join my club, Boavista. Then he left for Braga, a decision that didn't make the fans really happy. Seriously. Now he went back to Austria Wien, where he won't bother anyone. 
 I once saw him buying a new TV somewhere, just a few months after he arrived. So stop complaining about the money we owe you, kid. Sell your huge and modern tv set.

Linz in Violet. This shirt looks nice. Not nicer than mine though.

Linz was popular in Portugal not because he scored 21 goals in 3 seasons (1 in Boavista, 2 in Braga), but because he looks like Sherminator from American Pie. A lousy character for a lousy player.

Yeah, twins.
So, that's it. And I believe I might have just spent 50€ in 2 new shirts. Fingers crossed.

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

0 comentários: