#4 Borussia Mönchengladbach (Home, 2006/2007)


Not much of a story behind this one. I was walking around in Berlin (or maybe Hamburg, I'm not sure to be honest), and there was this huge department store. I guess it was Karstadt, but now I really can't remember. I got in, and I was impressed by the amount of shirts available, both from german and international teams.


This shop was definitly a great finding. I got to buy this one and two more shirts that I'll be posting soon, one from a german club and one from an asian football team that's not really common to see around Europe. Not so hard to get on online shops, though.

So, about this Gladbach shirt. It has a very interesting design, and it was real bargain: as it was from the previous season, they were selling it for like 15€ or 20€. Borussia is pretty popular in Germany, and they had a successful period in the 70's. They won the UEFA Cup twice, and several Bundesliga titles (3 in a row). Good old times, I'd say, as now they're struggling to avoid relegation, and actually spent some time in Bundesliga 2.


I've seen them in action this season, in a friendly match against Porto played in Oberhausen. The TV station where I work sent me to cover Porto's training weeks in Germany, so I managed to get some contact with Gladbach. Their press officer was a nice guy, and that was pretty much it. Didn't manage to get one of their new shirts, though. I should have tried, but I didn't. Didn't manage to buy a Rot-Weiss Oberhausen shirt either, so this match was a total disappointment. Ah, and pretty boring, too: 0-0, with not many chances. Then it started to rain a lot, me and my work mate (cameraman, yeah), had to work on the match highlights and post-match reactions, and send everything to Portugal. The internet connection wasn't working, so it took us like two hours to do all that. Crazy night of work, and I still get underpaid.



Kahe, brazilian striker, in action for Gladbach.
Now I'm off to play some football. My ankle was completely destroyed by a tackle last monday, unfortunetly I did the tackle myself, so can't complain about it. I hope I live.

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

2 comments:

  1. First of all what do you look for in your football uniform. Usually, the first thing that catches our attention in any sports wear is the size, the designs and the bright colors. However, that is not all that you need in sports wear, be it any sports. It is while playing that you might realize the flip side of choosing designer uniforms from any apparel shop. Sports wear has to be much more comfortable than daily wear clothes, because playing on the field is quite different from sitting comfortably at your home.

    Football Uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great post and awesome pics! That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.

    ReplyDelete