#9 Malaga (Home, 2007/2009)


When I bought this shirt, during one of my trips to Madrid, Malaga was just a mid-table club, sometimes struggling to keep their La Liga spot, and sometimes actually going down to come back right after. Now everything is different. This season they have the 3rd highest budget in La Liga, still away from Real Madrid and Barcelona, but they're now spending more than teams like Sevilla, Valencia, Atletico de Madrid or Villareal. Obviously thanks to Sheikh Al Thani and his fortune.

They used to sign some players from portuguese clubs, like Boavista legend Litos, Benfica's Paulo Jorge, Boavista's Hélder Rosário or Belenenses' Eliseu. Now they're usually more into some big names: Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Toulalan, Demichelis, Enzo Maresca, Julio Baptista, Buonanotte or Santi Cazorla. A very talented squad indeed. Let's see how it goes for the Malaga boys.


As I said, I bought this shirt in Madrid, during a memorable 4-day-trip. I had to walk like 40 minutes under extremely high temperatures, though. I was looking for some bargains, and I thought the best place to find plenty of offers was obviously El Corte Ingles. It's a huge department store, and there's like one in every spanish town (and also one in Lisbon and one in Porto). I was quite disappointed with the small amount of shirts available: mostly big clubs, and this Malaga one was the only that got my interest. It was also cheaper than the others: it costed around 30€, I think. It has no sponsor printed, which is a good thing, as Malaga's sponsorship that season was really poor and made the shirt look not so good.

Malaga? How original.
The shirt itself looks nice. Traditional blue and white vertical strips, with some details in golden.



Back then Malaga used more of a sea-blue, now they're using a lighter blue, like sky-blue or something:


I guess I prefer the old colours though.
Malaga always remembers me of an epic UEFA Cup round between them and Boavista. Quarter-finals, I think. We lost 1-0 in Malaga, managed to win 1-0 in Bessa with a late goal from a perfect free-kick taken by Luiz Claudio, and then we won on the penalty shoot-out.

Luiz Claudio. Could have been a legend. He wasn't.

 Now some more photos of the shirt, and of course, the almighty Litos playing for them:





Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

0 comentários: