#23 Morecambe FC (Away, 2007/2008)



There's not much to say about this one. I bought it from the same buyer who sold me the Guanghzou Evergrande one. It was cheap, it looked good, and I could bring it for a reduced shipping cost. Anyway, I was quite glad with it, even though I don't have any special feelings about Morecambe.

Ok, we're talking about a League 2 club here, the 4th tier in english football. It's pretty much impressive how huge football is up there in the UK. I've been into lower league english football for quite a while now, and it keeps impressing me. Thise summer, I bought the FourFourTwo Season Guide and the media coverage of lower divisions is absolutely incredible. Virtually impossible here, where newspapers usually don't dedicate more than 2 pages to the 2nd League, and if you want to explore something deeper than that you'll find mostly results and goalscorers only.

The fascinating thing about english football is that those lads really support their local club. And that's way different from what happens around here, where smaller clubs in the 1st League struggle to have attendances above 2000 people. The clubs also seem to be really organized and professional. Smaller clubs here are starting to improve, but 2nd League clubs are mostly run by local club who have no clue how a football club should be organized in the 21st Century.

Well, I'm done with the whining, let's have a closer look at the shirt.


One funny thing: Morecambe has changed its badge recently, from this lovely english-style one:


To this modern one:

What?
Yeah, that's a shrimp. A shrimp. Don't know about you, but shrimps remind me of weddings and other parties. I have no idea why a club would held a shrimp on their badge, but hey, I love shrimps, so no problem.

And if you were expecting a huge shrimp as the club's mascot, you're wrong. Christie the Cat is their mascot. I guess they changed pretty much everything in the last few years: moved to a new stadium, changed badge and shirt colours. Does that make my shirt a little bit more rare?



Morecambe used to play non-league football, but they were recently promoted to League Two. Checked their squad, but I never heard of any of their players. I do remember Dag & Red smashing them a few seasons ago in a play-off.

This shirt is quite similar to that Norway one I posted a few weeks ago. It feels a bit tight on the sleeves (yeah), but overall it's quite good.


Xmas coming, so don't forget my collection. Cheers in advance.

Francisco Ferreira

Journalist and football enthusiast. Born and raised in Porto, but ended up cheering the local minnows: Boavista FC. Football shirt collector, because it's a great to waste my money.

1 comment:

  1. Southend United have a huge shrimp as the club mascot if you're into that sort of thing...

    ReplyDelete